Monday, October 25, 2004

Paradial jumps the firewall into 3G

I have been remiss in my blogging duties. A tiny little Norwegian company called Paradial (www.paradial.com), which I have written about a couple of times previously in relation to possible consolidation candidates in the race for the ultimate desktop conferencing solution, demonstrated a video call (last Wednesday at VON) from a SIP client behind a firewall to a Hutchison 3G Italia terminal. Sadly, they haven't posted the press release to the website yet, so I can't link to it. I'm probably stating the obvious here, but this is just the sort of commonsense application which could really broaden the proposition for video-over-3G as a practical technology - i.e., it's not just an expensive video walkie-talkie that is useless unless one of your friends with a 3G terminal calls you to say, "Hey, isn't this cool." This is a genuinely useful application of both SIP and 3G which can enrich both today.

No comments: