Thursday, June 23, 2005

VoIP fatigue

A client recently remarked to me, "VoIP events - why would you go at this point? I mean, when was the last time you attended a conference on email?" That may be a bit harsh, but I'm beginning to see his point. However, it was previous commitments, rather than boredom, which kept me from attending KPN's VoIP event in London yesterday. As these things go, it looks to have been a pretty frank presentation of the ugly situation in the Dutch market (which I have repeatedly documented here - also see slides 7 and 9 of the slide pack). As for the product itself, it's another good example of mathematics in the telecom world, where "always free" costs EUR10 per month (see slide 23) and we're still dumping a call setup charge on top of call charges.

No comments: