Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Pipe cleaner

A Titanium Class mega-uber value reader draws my attention to the decision by Dutch regulator OPTA to force cablecos to offer open access to third parties. (Sorry this is in Dutch - my access to Babelfish has been blocked by some genius who apparently thinks it's some sort of anonymizer.) This had been pretty well flagged as a possibility by OPTA, so I don't know how surprising it is, but what I find interesting is that apparently the cable players will have to invoice customers with a bill which is itemized into network cost and service cost elements (as some of the smaller players already do). I can only surmise that some of the hostile press coverage of cable pricing in the Netherlands has really had some impact.

UPDATE: Esme has the gist and some additional insights.

No comments: