Wednesday, March 08, 2006

This time, it's political

At the risk of repeating myself, I've written a number of times over the past three years that I saw an impending conflict between the commercial agendas of telcos and the social and economic development policies of governments - which would turn broadband into a political issue. Most recently this was in a note to clients, in which I referred to Bruce Kushnick's explosive book. My take on it was that, if the issue could somehow be elevated above the noise of US media trivia, there was a chance it could become a sensitive political issue. I'm not convinced that this will be at all easy, but I note that there is reference to the book in this article from USA Today, which is about as mainstream as I can imagine media being. Don't expect to see him on Jay Leno anytime soon, but this is not a bad result.

No comments: