Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Goodbye Stockholm

Well, it's been a whirlwind time here, and I have failed dismally in my aspirations to post more on the goings-on, partly because I couldn't find the time and partly because so much of what I saw and heard I can't repeat. This morning it was my pleasure to appear on a panel with Michael Haberler, Brough Turner and the irrepressable Bob Frankston, on the issue of access reverticalization. With no forethought or prior coordination, we all ended up talking about the need to fundamentally rethink the access model from layer zero, changing the funding model and policy priorities. The discussion was a bit too wide-ranging and complex for me to do justice here, so I will refrain.

For my money, quote of the day came from an American attendee during one of the breaks: "What's the difference between telecom and the airline industry? Answer: About four years." Priceless.

I also sat in on presentations on ENUM and voice peering which were very complex but thought provoking. I am hoping that someone better qualified than I can summarize what went on in this space - but suffice it to say that this is a dynamic area generating more and more interest.

I had a chance to spend some time with the Truphone folks, who seemed to be at the center of the buzz around the developer ecosphere which may develop around Nokia's E-Series devices. I also stopped in to see the RTC Factory people, who impressed me. So little time, so much to do.

Gotta run, my WiFi credit is about to expire.

No comments: